Tuesday, October 29, 2019

A bewitching mew cozy series from Author Bethany Blake.  Introducing A BRUSHSTROKE WITH DEATH (Owl & Crescent Mystery #1).  Happy Reading! 😊 📚


5 Star Review by Chatting About Cozies (Linda Langford)




Just in time for Halloween, this is the perfect story to get you in the mood for the witching hour and some crystal ball reading! Author Bethany Blake debuts a para-cozy series I believe will immediately bewitch cozy mystery fans. Heroes come in all sorts of forms and disguises and this new paranormal/witch mystery showcases several of them, and was one of the reasons I enjoyed the story so much. The ending is spellbinding!

Artist Willow Bellamy’s ancestors are witches. She can “read” people through their paintings. As this mesmerizing cozy tale begins, Willow’s hosting a painting event in the old barn that houses her shop/studio—The Owl & Crescent Art Barn. It’s a dark and stormy night as the eclectic group gathers to chat, sip, snack, and paint. Early the next morning, one of the attendees is found cold and lifeless near Willow’s property. Willow is shocked when a Detective Lucian Turner arrives and looks just like the man in a painting she recently finished. She wonders if she could have painted he and his dog, Marinette, to life.

To say this is an excellent mystery doesn’t seem to be enough. I’d give it more stars than 5, if I could, for entertainment, creativeness, and characterization. The dialogue is witty with laugh-out-loud moments. There’s obviously something supernatural about Lucian and Willow’s connection and why he’s there, and those facts are slowly revealed as this captivating tale unfolds. Willow is surrounded by dynamic pets who I loved—her protective familiar...Rembrandt, the owl. Rescue pig...Mortimer, who’s much more at home inside than outside. And, Luna...a sweet gray cat with a crescent marking. All three are her faithful companions.

I was creeped out by secondary character, Benedict Blodgett, a horror film director, and y’all will understand why as you read the story! There’s a bevy of suspects who disliked the victim and Willow places herself in danger multiple times as she casts spells to see if she can “see” the killer. I got goosebumps when I realized who the murderer was! I kinda had a feeling who it was, but still....the betrayal! I can hardly wait for book two so I can find out what happens in the next story!

I reviewed a galley ARC provided by Kensington Publishing. This review is my honest, unbiased opinion.

Release Date: 10.29.19

Image source: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment